This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a forward-moving library that embraces the community it serves. Howell Carnegie District Library is renowned for its excellent staff, board of trustees, and beautiful Carnegie building.
Located midway between Lansing (the state capital) and Detroit, the City of Howell is the county seat of Livingston County. HCDL is an independent District Library that provides library service to approximately 52,500 residents in a district covering 162 square miles. Howell offers a strong sense of community while also providing the convenience of easy access to Lansing, Ann Arbor, and Detroit.
The Howell Carnegie District Library Director will be expected to:
- Lead the staff and the library in a highly professional manner, fostering teamwork, collaboration, and trust
- Advocate for the library and enthusiastically participate in community events and organizations
- Continue to move the library forward to best serve the needs of the community
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire staff, board, and the community
- A sense of humor, intellectual curiosity, and an eagerness to explore new ideas
- An understanding of both traditional and emerging trends in how libraries serve their communities
- Political savvy with well-developed skills at building and strengthening relationships with the community
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited school
- High-level, proven public library leadership and budget experience
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and “Howell” in the subject line of your email.
Applications received by September 29 will receive first preference.
Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Howell Carnegie District Library