The Board of Directors of the Kanawha County Public Library seeks a visionary leader to serve as Library Director.
The Kanawha County Public Library in West Virginia provides services to about 225,000 residents of the City of Charleston, Kanawha County, and Putnam County through a main library, nine branch libraries, and a mobile library. This opportunity is open due to the upcoming retirement of the current Library Director.
Plans are underway for a significant expansion and renovation at the main library. As the largest public library system in West Virginia, the library has cardholders from all 55 West Virginia counties. Anyone living, working, or attending school in West Virginia may also register for a card, so the library welcomes many more people than those living strictly within its boundaries. For more information on West Virginia libraries, please read this 2017 Statistical Report of the West Virginia Library Commission.
Charleston, the capital of the State of West Virginia, is nestled in the Appalachian Mountains on the banks of the Kanawha River. Charleston has both small town charm and plenty of urban amenities. The city teems with restaurants, night life, live music, performance theater, galleries, and public art. It also is the gateway to world-class recreation including whitewater rafting, mountain climbing, biking, skiing, and zip-lining.
The Kanawha County Public Library Director will be expected to:
- Lead and inspire the staff and the library in a highly professional manner, fostering teamwork and trust
- Cultivate community partnerships and be highly visible in the community
- Continue to move the library forward to best serve the needs of the community
- Ability to act as a consensus builder and work collaboratively with the library board, staff, and community
- Political savvy with well-developed prowess at building and strengthening relationships
- The ability to see the “big picture,” and the capacity to follow through with plans
- Intellectual curiosity and openness to new ideas, coupled with a good business sense
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school
- Experience with a building program is helpful though not required
- Understanding of both traditional and new ways libraries serve communities
- High-level managerial and leadership experience with financial and planning responsibilities
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and “Kanawha County” in the subject line of your email.
Salary negotiable based on experience. Relocation assistance provided.
Questions? We welcome and encourage phone and email inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
Email: John Keister & Associates
p: 847-955-0541 (voice/text)
Our firm is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Kanawha County Public Library