(Non-profit, Virtual/Remote, Association Management)
The Wisconsin Library Association (WLA) seeks a talented leader to guide the organization as it looks to increase membership, expand its services, and continue its strong legislative agenda.
WLA, a 501(c)6 non-profit, is the statewide professional organization that has served the library profession in Wisconsin since its founding in 1891. The Association provides leadership for the development, promotion, and improvement of library services, librarianship, and the library community. It also acts as a strong advocate for informing and influencing legislation affecting libraries and librarians.
WLA membership comprises more than 1,600 individuals and institutions throughout Wisconsin. Members include public, academic, school and special libraries, and organizations supportive of libraries such as library trustees, staff, library supporters, and vendors. This collaborative network advocates for library communities and advances the profession by sharing innovative ideas, promoting best practices, and supporting new programs and services.
The Executive Director will be the Chief Executive Officer of the Wisconsin Library Association (WLA) and the Wisconsin Library Association Foundation (WLAF), a 501(c)3 non-profit. The Executive Director, working closely with the WLA and the WLAF Boards of Directors, provides leadership and vision for the association.
The Wisconsin Library Association is a fully remote office. Current or future residency in Wisconsin is strongly preferred.
Annual salary of $85,000 — $95,000 or higher, depending on experience and qualifications. Simple IRA, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays provided. Medical insurance not provided.
The new Executive Director will be expected to:
- Establish administrative and employment policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operations of the Association
- Hire and retain competent, qualified staff and effectively manage the Human Resources of WLA
- Oversee the design, marketing, promotion, delivery, and quality of products and services
- Develop and implement membership recruitment and retention plans
- Serve as the public face and foremost representative of WLA
- Oversee conferences and workshops on a wide range of library issues
- Maintain fiscal integrity of the Association, including submission to the Board of an annual budget and monthly financial statements
- Work with the Financial Manager to provide fiscal planning that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintains a positive financial position
- Ensure commitment to and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Monitor Wisconsin legislative and other governmental activities affecting libraries; communicate and promote WLA's legislative program to the membership to encourage and maximize participation in legislative activities
- Serve as WLA Liaison to legislative members and staff, and represent the Association at legislative, executive, and other meetings as requested by the WLA Board
- Provide information and support to WLA's Library Development and Legislation Committee (LD&L) as needed to carry out WLA's legislative program, as well as serve as a resource for WLA's annual Library Legislative Day
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Non-profit management experience, with customer relations, marketing or sales experience a plus
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong service orientation
- Strong financial management skills including budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting
- High level strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Bachelor's degree or higher
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and “WLA” in the subject line of your email.
This is a virtual/remote opportunity but current or future residency in Wisconsin is preferred.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries. First consideration given to applications received by May 20, 2021. Interviews will be ongoing beginning May.
John Keister & Associates
Our firm is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.