Des Plaines Public Library, a premier Chicago area library, seeks a forward-thinking leader to serve as the next Executive Director. With an outstanding staff and board of trustees, you will continue to move the library forward to serve Des Plaines residents with the best in library services. This opportunity is open due to the retirement of the current Executive Director.
Des Plaines, home to more than 58,000 residents, is a vibrant city located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. A diverse population further enriches Des Plaines and makes it a great place to work, play, and live. Residents enjoy good schools, a broad mix of retail and service businesses, a variety of housing choices, and abundant recreational and entertainment options.
The Executive Director will be expected to:
- Serve as a visionary leader, continuing to move the library forward to best serve the needs of the Des Plaines community
- Exhibit superior leadership, administrative, and organizational skills
- Advocate and represent the library at public events and with local government agencies and community organizations
This opportunity requires an individual with:
- A sense of humor, intellectual curiosity and political savviness
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to lead the library and staff in a highly professional and collaborative manner
- Well-developed skills in building and strengthening relationships with the community
- Understanding of both traditional and new ways libraries serve communities
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school
- Leadership experience in a public library that demonstrates the ability and skill to work in an ethnically and socioeconomically diverse community
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and “Des Plaines” in the subject line of your email. Applications should be received by May 15.
Salary $110,000/year or higher, negotiable based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
Executive Search for Libraries
Email: John Keister & Associates
Our firm is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Des Plaines Public Library