About the Community
Home to nearly 2,900 residents, the Village of Fowlerville, in Livingston County, is a friendly community about 30 minutes east of the state capital, Lansing, and 45 minutes northwest of Ann Arbor. The Detroit metro area is easily within an hour's drive east.
The villages and towns of Livingston County offer residents the comforts and charm of small-town living along with easy access to the big city amenities nearby. As you'd expect, the pandemic has restricted many activities; in "normal" times, community festivals, arts events, and picturesque downtowns enliven this region of the state, and recreational opportunities are plentiful.
Children in Fowlerville are served by the Fowlerville Community Schools. Options for Higher Ed include Mott Community College (Livingston Center), Lansing Community College, Cleary University (Howell), Michigan State University, and University of Michigan.
For more information on the community, please visit these links:
Livingston County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Pure Michigan: Brighton Howell area
Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau
Destination Ann Arbor
Detroit Convention & Visitors Bureau
Livingston Daily Newspaper
About the Library
The Fowlerville District Library has been providing service to the community since 1934. Its holdings include Kindle Paperwhite eReaders for checkout, a sizable local history collection, business resources, and an extensive taxidermy collection! Recently, the library moved into a larger building in the downtown area which allows patrons to enjoy expanded areas for programs, quiet reading, research, and computer access. Slightly more than 10,000 square feet of space is currently in use and there is significant room for expansion in this building.
The library participates in the Michigan eLibrary (MeL), a partnership of Michigan's libraries that share digital resources and is run by the Library of Michigan. Through MeL, users have online access to a wide variety of materials including movies, books, full-text scientific and academic articles, digital images, and more. MelCat also allows users to request physical materials including books, music, and movies and have them delivered to their home libraries.
About the Position
The Board of Trustees is looking for a talented leader to guide the Fowlerville District Library as it continues to enrich, educate, and entertain the community through its services, programs, and outreach. This is an excellent opportunity for an "out-of-the-box" thinker who is enthusiastic about guiding a community-focused library and taking it to the next level. The position requires someone with a strong but collaborative style of leadership who embraces their role of connecting and inspiring staff, the board, and the community.
The Library Director reports to the seven-member elected Board of Trustees and will be expected to:
- Lead by example, with a style that fosters teamwork and collaboration, encourages professional growth, and establishes trust
- Advocate for the library in the community by participating in local events and strengthening relationships with community leaders and organizations
- Review and update policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the library
- Nurture an inclusive culture that celebrates the voices and viewpoints of all community members
- Communicate with the Board in a timely and accurate manner and provide information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions
- A demonstrated ability to adapt to change, be responsive to needs, and support the needs and interests of the community
- An understanding of current and emerging trends in library operations including customer service, technology, and programming
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the board, staff, and public.
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited school
- Strong financial management and supervisory skills
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and “Fowlerville” in the subject line of your email.
Salary $70,000 to $80,000/year, negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Interviews will be ongoing — please apply by October 30
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
Our firm is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Library photos courtesy of Fowlerville District Library; photo of Livingston County Courthouse (Howell, MI) by Dwight Burdette, licensed under CC BY 3.0; photos of autumn trees and balloons by user skeeze via Pixabay.