The residents of Waterloo are diverse: more than 45 languages are spoken by children in Waterloo schools! Community leaders believe the city's diversity is its strength and that proactively and purposefully addressing issues of immigration and inclusion will lead to an even better future for all.
Accordingly, WPL is looking for a Director who will serve as a visionary leader while supporting and celebrating all the diverse needs and interests of the community.
About the Opportunity
The successful candidate will be an individual with an approachable, honest, confident, and respectful style who can inspire staff, encourage teamwork, and bring new ideas to the library.
The Director should be someone who embraces their role as an advocate for the library, whether participating in community events, working with other civic leaders, or meeting people one-on-one. As a consensus builder, the Director will understand that the Board of Trustees, library staff, and members of the public all have roles in making their library vibrant, leading-edge, and irreplaceable.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to guide the library and staff in a professional manner that fosters teamwork and trust
- The passion and enthusiasm to advocate for the library and serve as an ambassador to the Waterloo community
- A well-developed business sense coupled with an intellectual curiosity and openness to new ideas
- The political aptitude and communication skills to build and strengthen relationships within the community
- High-level public library managerial and leadership experience
- Experience managing in a unionized library environment is desirable
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school (or equivalent) is required
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume, and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and specify "Waterloo" in the subject line of your email.
Salary is $87,000 to $115,000/year, negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries. Interviews will be ongoing.
John Keister & Associates
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Waterloo Public Library