This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a forward-moving library that embraces the community it serves. The library is renowned for its excellent staff, supportive library advisory board, and engaged community.
Wichita, the largest city in Kansas, is popular with residents and visitors who enjoy its world-class museums, vibrant arts scene, and range of festivals, dining, and nightlife. Wichita boasts a reasonable cost of living and high quality of life, making it an ideal Midwest destination to work, live, and play.
About the Opportunity
The successful candidate is someone who excels in seeing the big picture — an individual who will be aware of the needs of the Wichita community but who also will be willing to take the next steps to ensure that the library continues to lean forward with the latest in library services and resources.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Serve as a visionary and innovative leader, responding to the needs of the Wichita community and adapting to the changing role of public libraries
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the board, staff, community and business leaders, and the general public
- An understanding of current and emerging trends in library operations including customer service, technology, and programming
- Political savvy with well-developed skills at building and strengthening relations with the community
- High-level public library managerial and leadership experience with financial and planning responsibilities
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume, and three professional references using the contact information below. Please include your last name in the title of any attached files and "Wichita" in the subject line of your email.
Salary $125,000 to $167,000/year, negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries. Interviews will be ongoing. First consideration given to applications received by July 16, 2021.
John Keister & Associates
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Wichita Public Library